We held our Fall Social yesterday to regroup and make plans for 2020. It was a good turnout representing a mix of WordPress experience levels and interests.
Our big question for the group was what do you want to cover?
There were great suggestions — all collected and organized below — touching on different aspects of building a website and using WordPress. We’re going to take these ideas and work them into our event planning for future meetups.
See you next month! Check the Meetup site for details and to RSVP.
Building the WP Durham website, together
How should we communicate between meetups?
There was some understandable hesitancy with relying on Meetup.com or Facebook.
So why don’t we build our own community site together?
Over the coming months we’ll build the WP Durham site during in-person working sessions. We’ll talk through our choices as a group and document the process as we go.
Interested in taking part? Join the meetup group and look out for invites.
Now, on to the topic list…!
Topic & activity suggestions
General / broad topics
- Discussing recent WordPress releases & changes
- Free / low-cost options vs. paid options
- Quick tips n’ tricks for simple fixes
- How to build a(n) [x] website using WordPress, e.g.
- Community hub
- Blog / publication
Introduction to WordPress
- WordPress.com vs WordPress.org
- Website fundamentals: Domain, email, hosting
- Choosing a web host
- WordPress 101 orientation (getting started) – Done! Our October 2019 meetup.
- Troubleshooting WordPress issues
- Common error codes and what they mean
- Running backups & updates
- Securing your WordPress site
- Complementary services/tools (e.g. Google Docs, Office 365)
WordPress themes / website design
- Intro to web design
- Best themes for X / theme demos
- Choosing & managing plugins – Coming in November 2019
- General plugin recommendations – Coming in November 2019
- Page builders
- Polls & surveys
- WooCommerce & eCommerce
- Calendars, scheduling, and booking
- Learning management systems
- Maintenance pages & “coming soon”
- CDNs, caching, performance
- NextGen gallery deep dive
Working with content & media
- Planning posts & pages
- Using the WordPress editor
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Embedding media from other sites
- Where to host your media assets
- Creating images for your site
- Content & copyright issues
- RSS feeds, content distribution / syndication
Growing a business with WordPress
- Using WordPress for online course creation
- Making money with your website (monetization/revenue streams)
- Promoting your website
- Affiliate marketing
- Placing advertisements on your site
- CRMs, email marketing & marketing automation
- Sales funnel setup & optimization
- Social media integration / social media campaigns
- Web analytics / Google Analytics
- Hiring contractors / developers to help
- Building sites for others / starting a web design business
WordPress development / advanced topics
- Intro to HTML & CSS
- Advanced CSS / animation
- How to build a theme / child theme from scratch
- Development > Staging > Production workflows
- Intro to Git and version control
- SMTP & infrastructure
- Reseller hosting
- Hands-on workshops
- Roundtable discussions
- Socials / dinners
- Site reviews / site clinics
- 1:1 support
- WordCamp-style events (all day, multi-session)
- Pop-up workshops around Durham Region
Have a suggestion to add? Let us know.
We’re always looking for new meetup topics & activities. Submit as many ideas as you want through our meetup suggestion page.